The WEEI/NESN Jimmy Fund Radio-Telethon features interviews with an impressive cadre of celebrities, sports stars, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute physicians, researchers, and patients all with touching stories that inspire people all over the world to support Dana-Farber's mission to conquer cancer. The 2-day broadcast is simulcast live on New England Sports Network (NESN) and WEEI Sports Radio Network (93.7FM).
WEEI Sports Radio Network began a tradition in 2002, teaming up with the Boston Red Sox and the Jimmy Fund to produce and broadcast a Radiothon that raised nearly $325,000 in one day to help fight cancer in children and adults. In 2003, NESN joined in and the 2nd annual event exceeded all expectations, raising more than $1 million to support the Jimmy Fund's fight against cancer at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. Over the past twelve years, this event has raised more than $34 million for research and care at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
Numerous celebrities have been part of this legendary event. From the 1967 Boston Red Sox "Impossible Dream Team" to a phone-in from George Steinbrenner, the Radio-Telethon has attracted stars from every corner. Current Sox players continue the tradition of the Jimmy Fund's all-time legendary Sox slugger, Ted Williams. Hollywood personalities have also teamed up with WEEI, NESN, and the Jimmy Fund, phoning in their support for this unforgettable event.
- In 2003, Ben Affleck and Stephen King surprised guests with a live appearance at Fenway Park and were interviewed in WEEI's broadcast booth.
- In 2006, Donald Trump threw out the first pitch and made a generous gift to help us break the previous event record.
- 2007 was the 40th anniversary of the Boston Red Sox Impossible Dream Team, and members of the 1967 Red Sox team were honored on field during the second day of the Radio-Telethon.
- In 2008, celebrity supporters and callers included Mike O'Malley, John Krasinski, Keith Lockhart, Dane Cook, and James Stephanopoulos.
- 2009 included Aaron Neville singing the National Anthem and Kelly Clarkson singing during the seventh-inning stretch.
- In 2010, Meredith Vieira and Maura Tierney took the mound to throw out the first pitch!
- In 2011, welcomed back Mo Vaughn and John Valentin to throw out the first pitch.
- In 2012, the Jimmy Fund honored Johnny Pesky and the entire Red Sox team dropped in to show their support.
- In 2013, the Jimmy Fund and the Boston Red Sox celebrated 60 years of successful partnership.
For more information, please contact: